Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Charlotte, Mahmoud and I just finished out Hangout.  It was challenging trying to get things to work, because it turned out that Charlotte and I each needed install programs in our office computers, but the computers were not cooperating. Luckily, I work in the same building with Charlotte so we met in her office and talked with Mahmoud, who could not see us, although we could see him.  (Computer with the camera on the opposite side from the screen.)  Mahmoud had a lovely view of the wall behind Charlotte's desk.

Mahmoud had experience in teaching upper level Arabic literature classes on line. I have taken classes on line (mathematics) but I haven't taught on-line.  It was very interesting to me that above and beyond the simple technological challenges of having both the bandwidth and a computer to do the work, there was also an issue that I had never considered as a teacher of Spanish and French only.  All the students Mahmoud works with have to write from right to left, when all the computer programs on my computer, like this blog, go from left to right.

1 comment:

  1. Working with you was really a matter of pleasure. differences and challenges between on language and another is something that enriched our discussion and work group for sure. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete